We all know about Robusta coffee. The term Robusta is so popular, especially among avid coffee drinkers. But for some people, it’s just some sort of coffee. Although in fact, Robusta is a very interesting coffee bean. Here, in this article, we will focus on Robusta beans, and reveal all the good things about this coffee bean.
Robusta coffee is the second most popular coffee in the world after Arabica. It is made from the beans of the Coffea canephora plant, native to Africa, particularly central and western sub-Saharan Africa. It is still cultivated for commercial purposes in Africa, particularly in Uganda, Tanzania, and Cote d’Ivoire. But production has expanded all over the world. The biggest producer of Robusta is Vietnam, followed by Brazil and Indonesia. As the second most popular coffee, Robusta accounts for up to 40% of the world’s coffee production, while Arabica accounts for the remaining 60% of the world’s coffee production. Robusta is used mostly in instant coffee, espresso, and as a filler in certain blends of ground coffee.
Growing Robusta coffee is fairly easy. Robusta thrives in a tropical climate and can be cultivated at elevations as low as sea level. Being hardy coffee plants that can grow well at any altitude, Robusta coffee could be the main key to sustainable coffee production in the future. Because the coffee plants are resilient and more resistant to pests due to its high level of caffeine, they produce more finished products per acre and require relatively low production cost. Robusta coffee is also a more environmentally friendly crop that requires less or no pesticides. Robusta coffee plants also mature faster than its arabica counterpart, allowing farmers to produce it more quickly to meet global demands. When growing in the wild, the coffee plant may rise to heights of 30 feet or more under prime growing conditions. However, farmers who focus on growing Robusta coffee, the plants are kept at about half that height to ensure the harvest is efficient.
In terms of flavor profile, Robusta coffee is known for its intense, complex, and bold flavors. It offers more of an earthy flavor, slightly grainy, with oak tones and a pleasant bitterness. The aftertaste of Robusta is often reminiscent of peanuts. Moreover, robusta coffee has a deep and bold mouthfeel that is smooth with little to no acidity. So, for those who appreciate a deep and roasted flavor, Robusta coffee is highly recommended. It is even beneficial for your health as it contains 60% less sugar and fat than Arabica coffee. Because of its deep flavor profile, Robusta beans are not only suitable as a component for caffeine-rich espresso blends, but also for enriching the taste of milk drinks such as cappuccino and caffè latte.
Last but not least, Robusta’s price is the main point to think about from a consumer standpoint. Because Robusta coffee is easier to farm and often produces higher yields, it is one of the cheapest coffee products on the market. Compared to Arabica beans, Robusta beans are up to 50% cheaper. Well, that’s everything you need to know about Robusta coffee. We hope you will find this article useful to support your coffee business.